The Kaduna State Government has dismissed reports alleging an “imminent collapse” of the Kangimi Dam in Igabi Local Government Area, describing the claims as misleading and urging residents to remain calm but vigilant.
The government, in a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure, Alhaji Ashiru Abdu Na Abdu, said the images circulating on social media relate to structural concerns first observed at the dam in 2015/2016 as a result of ageing and pressure from heavy rainfall.
According to the statement issued on August 20, 2026, the concerns were promptly addressed through emergency remedial works carried out by the Kaduna State Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure to stabilise the dam and ensure its safety.
The government said Kangimi Dam has since been subjected to routine monitoring and minimal maintenance, stressing that there is currently “no evidence of active structural failure.”
“The dam is currently intact and performing its function,” the statement said.
The clarification followed public concern generated by a recent flood advisory issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMET) for 10 states, including Kaduna.
While acknowledging the seriousness of the warning, the state government said describing Kangimi Dam as being on the verge of collapse based on 2015/2016 data was misleading and did not reflect its present condition.
It urged media organisations and advocacy groups to verify information with the Kaduna State Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure and the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources before publication.
The government, however, said it was taking precautionary measures to further strengthen the dam and improve its monitoring system.
It disclosed that the state was procuring and planning the installation of modern safety equipment, including automated water-level gauges, early-warning sirens and telemetry systems to facilitate 24-hour monitoring.
As part of the next steps, the government said a joint technical inspection involving the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and Sanitation and the Kaduna State Government had been scheduled for August 2026.
It added that the budgeting process for the full rehabilitation of the dam and installation of additional safety equipment was ongoing.
The statement also said community sensitisation was being carried out in collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (KADSEMA).
The government urged residents living downstream of the dam to remain calm but vigilant and report any unusual observations to the nearest authorities.
“Prevention is better than cure, but the truth must lead the way,” the statement added.

0 Comments